England's 1966 World Cup Win
It's 43 years since England won the World Cup in 1966 at the old Wembley and a hero was made in the form of the Russian linesman who claimed Geoff Hurst's crucial goal had crossed the line.Â
PriorÂ to the tournament kcikingÂ off, Â the England World Cup oddsÂ didn't fancy a host nation win, however, lady luck was shining and Alf Ramsey's England squad took to the following route to the final:
- England 0 - Uruguay 0
- England 2 - Mexico 0
- England 1 - Argentina 0
- England 2 - Portugal 1
The Final - England 4 - West Germany 2
After 12 minutes, England were behind by one goal after West Germany took the lead with a Helmut Haller goal, four minutes later, England drew level with a goal from Geoff Hurst, the rest of the first half produced no more goals and it was not until the 78th minute that a goal from Martin Peters put England ahead and it looked as if the tournament was going to be England's.
However in the 89th minute, West Germany were awarded a free kick and Wolfgang Weber managed to get it over the line amid calls for handball the goal was awarded and the game went into extra time.
England managed to again get ahead with a goal in the 98th minute from Geoff Hurst, a strike that hit the crossbar and bounced over the line no matter what the German's say!
Whether or not people doubt the validity of the 3rd goal, with one minute to go, Hurst completed his hat trick and it led to the famous quote by the BBC commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme "Some people are on the pitch... They think it's all over ... It is now!".
England were crowned world champions for the first and only time in England's World Cup history, however, they have come close on several attempts since reaching the quarter finals on numerous occasions and beaten semi finalists in 1990. Optimism is high ahead of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and theÂ
- Manchester Derby To End In A Draw As The Battle To Avoid 5th Place Hots Up
- Orlando Red Bulls And Galaxy Tipped For Home Wins In The MLS Treble
- Crystal Palace To End Tottenhams Title Hopes At Selhurst Park
- Hazard To Guide Chelsea To A Decisive Win Against Southampton
- Newcastle To Secure Promotion With A Big Win Over Preston
- Real To Beat Barcelona In An El Clasico Thriller At The Bernabeu
- Back Both Teams To Score In A Liverpool Win Against Palace
- Manchester United Odds On To Win The Europa League Following Semi Final Draw